Concordia University 2019-2020 Academic Catalog
Welcome to the Concordia University-Portland 2019-2020 Academic Catalog. It contains course descriptions and curricular requirements for Fall 2019 through Summer 2020, as well as information and policies current during the same time period.
- To access main CATALOG sections, use the navy links in the header.
- To access major PAGE topics, use the gray tabs at the top of each page.
More tips are available under the Navigating the Catalog tab above.
Use of This Catalog
This catalog is provided for guidance in course selection and program planning. Students are expected to confer with their academic advisors for individualized information concerning their academic programs. Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this catalog. Other publications which reflect additional policies of Concordia University include the Student Handbook and the Faculty Handbook. (Access to CU's Intranet is required to view these handbooks.)
The statements made in this Academic Catalog constitute official policies of Concordia University. These policies are subject to change by the President, the Board of Regents, and the faculty. Courses listed in this catalog are subject to change through normal academic processes. Changes to the curriculum are published in the program outlines and the online Course Schedule. Concordia University reserves the right to, at any time, change or withdraw courses, fees, rules, and calendar, as well as other regulations affecting the student body.
Find Your Catalog
- 2018-2019 Catalog with Addendums – Began between May 2018 and August 2019
- 2017-2018 Catalog – Began between May 2017 and April 2018
- 2016-2017 Catalog – Began between May 2016 and April 2017
- 2015-2016 Catalog – Began between May 2015 and April 2016
- www.cu-portland.edu/academics/registrar/academic-catalog to access pdf versions of previous catalogs.
For a student who entered CU declaring one program and then, after admission, changed to a different program, the student may 1) remain under the catalog which was in force at the time of Admission to CU or 2) elect to move to any catalog published between the time of Admission and the Academic Year in which the change was made.
Navigating the Catalog
These tips may be helpful in moving around in this catalog:
- The navy blue rectangular links in the catalog header provide access to sub-sections in the categories shown:
- Programs of Study, General Information & Student Affairs, Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law.
- The line of "bread crumbs" in the top left corner of each catalog page provides easy access to other pages within the same area.
- Example: Home > Undergraduate > Academic Information and Policies > Enrollment Topics – Undergraduate
- The tabs at the top of some pages, break the page information into major topics.
- The bulleted list of links on many catalog pages allows easy access to secondary topics on that page.
- The blue up-carrot in the lower right corner of the web page will return the view to the top of the current catalog page.
- The "Search Catalog..." field located in the catalog header can be used when looking for a particular word or topic:
- It will return all iterations of the word(s) entered along with other forms of the word(s) that exist in the catalog (i.e., other tenses or conjugations).
- To search for a phrase, enclose it in quotes.
- The Search function is not as powerful as popular internet search engines so be creative in the words and phrases used in the search.
- The "page" returned in the search includes all the information under every tab showing within the frame of that page, so the information sought may be located under one of the tabs, not on the initial page opened in the search.
- <Ctrl><F> will bring up a search function for the open screen.
If unable to locate the needed information, contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appendix A: Faculty and Faculty Emeriti
- Appendix B: Athletic Staff
- Appendix C: Administrative Staff
- Appendix D: Council of Trustees
- Appendix E: Office of the President and Foundation Staff
- Appendix F: The Officers and Board Members of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
- Appendix G: Academic Calendars
- Appendix H: Locations and Facilities
- Appendix I: Acronyms and Terms
Addendum to 2019-2020 Catalog
Addendum Publication Date: July 2019
The following programs and policies have added or updated information since the initial publication of the 2019-2020 Academic Catalog:
- NEW: M.Ed. in Educational Technology & Learning Design
- NEW: M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration