Veteran Services

Veterans Education Benefits

Academic programs offered at Concordia are approved by the Oregon State Approving Agency. Veterans and other persons eligible for educational benefits may complete the education benefit application on the VA’s website Students will receive confirmation (Certificate of Eligibility or CoE) from the VA regarding eligibility for education benefits. It is the student’s responsibility to send a copy of the CoE to Concordia University’s School Certifying Official in the Finance Office before benefits can be processed. Please note: a copy of the qualifying veteran’s DD-214 is also required for those no longer on active duty or for those students receiving Dependent Education Assistance (Chapter 35) benefits. Any veteran applying to receive GI Bill® benefits while attending Concordia University is required to obtain transcripts from all previously attended schools and submit them Concordia for review of prior credit. More information is available on

Programs at Concordia University are approved for the use of VA benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill®, Dependents Educational Assistance, and Title 38 and Title 10 of the US Code, or benefits offered by the State of Oregon Department of Veteran Affairs. The university, through the Office of Student Accounts & Veteran Benefits, provides the certifying service to qualified students. The certifying official issues enrollment certification documents to the appropriate VA regional office and monitors students’ satisfactory progress for the VA. Any student receiving GI Bill® education benefits while attending Concordia University is required to obtain transcripts from all previously attended schools and submit them to the school for review of prior credit.

Concordia students who receive benefits from the Veterans Benefits Administration of the Department of Veterans Affairs are subject to the satisfactory progress standards as set forth in Chapter 38, U.S. Code sections 1674, 1724, 1775, and 1776, and to those defined by the university. See the Undergraduate or the Graduate Academic Standing Policy for more information.

For other types of financial assistance, refer to the Financial Assistance information in the Undergraduate and Graduate Tuition, Fees, and Financial Assistance sections of this catalog.

Military Transfer Credit

Concordia University recognizes that many service personnel have taken specialized training during their military careers in addition to their regular duty work. In some cases, specialized military training can translate into college credit and thus contribute toward completion of an undergraduate degree. Concordia will transfer a maximum of 45 credits from military transcripts. Concordia will transfer a maximum of 45 credits combined between military and CLEP. See the Undergraduate Admission section of this catalog for additional alternative credit options.

Deployment or Unexpected Withdrawal Policy

The Concordia University refund policy provides prorated refunds for dropped or withdrawn courses within the applicable deadlines posted on the Academic Calendar. If a student is called to active duty military service they may be eligible for exceptions to these posted deadlines.

  • Students called to active duty should contact all of their professors to arrange for final grades to be issued or for assignment of incompletes as appropriate (see University policy on incomplete grades for more information).
  • If arrangements for a final grade or incomplete are not possible (in some or all courses), Concordia University will drop the course(s).
  • Any refund (full or partial) of tuition and fees will be determined for applicable courses upon verification of circumstances. Students must make a written request for an exception to the standard withdrawal policy. NOTE: all exceptions will be deliberated within the constraints of the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Title IV policies.
  • A copy of general active duty orders containing an issue date and effective date will be expected as a form of documentation.
  • The student must submit documentation and proof to the Office of Student Accounts & Veteran Benefits (Luther Hall 200 or to discuss available options.

For additional information on withdrawing from classes at Concordia University and the possible financial implications, see the Policies information in the Undergraduate or Graduate Tuition, Fees, and Financial Assistance sections of this catalog.

SVCU is committed to providing comprehensive resources to military affiliated students to support personal, academic, and professional development. The SVCU is an inclusive club that serves as a campus liaison between the student veteran and the University to foster the successful transition from military to college life.

For information on other clubs and student organizations at Concordia, see CoCurricular Activities in the Student Affairs section of this catalog or the Clubs & Organizations page on CU's website.

Concordia's School Certifying Official (SCO)

Josh Grover
Veterans Benefits Specialist
Luther Hall - 200

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at