College of Education - Graduate Degrees

Concordia University’s College of Education has been a pioneer in graduate education. Since 1996, the College of Education has offered the Master of Arts in Teaching and the Master of Education degrees. Many courses in both programs are now offered online to assist pre-service and in-service teachers with earning and maintaining licensing requirements. Visit for more information about each program including a chart of program delivery options.

Candidates can pursue a variety of graduate options through the College of Education:

  • Doctorate of Education
  • Master of Arts in Education Foundations
  • Master of Arts in Teaching / Preliminary Teaching License in 11-month MAT (daytime) and 22-month MAT-E (evening) formats. A professional church worker option is also available.
  • Master of Education
    • Administration
    • Career and Technical Education
    • Curriculum and Instruction
    • Educational Leadership
  • Certificate Programs for Oregon and Washington Students
    • Preliminary Administrative Licensure (formerly the IAL)
    • Professional Administrative Licensure (formerly the CAL)
    • Heath and Physical Education
    • Reading Interventionist
    • Teaching English Language Learners 

MAT application deadlines:

  • 11-month full-time MAT program
    • November 1 for the January start
    • March 1 for the June start
  • 22-month part-time evening MAT-E program
    • June 1 for the August (Fall) start

Individuals in the M.Ed. or certificate programs can begin any semester.  

Earning Multiple Gradate Degrees and Certificates

A student may earn up to two M.Ed. and two M.A. degrees, however these restrictions apply:

  • A student may not earn two of the same degree from Concordia University if they overlap by more than nine semester credits of common requirements. In order for credits to apply to a student's second degree they must be less than seven years old and with a grade of B- or better. All seminar and capstone courses must be unique to each program. Where required by the program, EDGR 500 PROFESSIONAL PLANNING SEMINAR will need to be repeated for each degree and a new type of capstone course must be earned for the second degree; for example, if a student completes EDGR 698 ACTION RESEARCH  for their first degree then EDGR 699 THESIS or EDGR 696 PRACTITIONER INQUIRY  must be completed to earn the second degree.
  • When the student has earned an M.Ed. or M.A. degree from Concordia University and now seeks to earn a certificate, there must be no more than six credits of overlapping coursework between the two. To carry forward up to six credits of overlapping coursework from the degree to the certificate, the credits must be less than seven years old and have an earned grade of B- or better.
  • If a student has completed a certificate at Concordia University and would like to complete another certificate, there can be no more than six credits of overlapping coursework between the two. To carry up to six credits of overlapping coursework forward, the credits must be less than seven years old and have an earned grade of B- or better.
  • Transfer work from outside institutions cannot be brought in in addition to the nine or six shared credits for degrees or certificates. Combinations of internal credits and transfer credits may be made as long as the total does not exceed the allowed credit total for the program. 


With Christ as our teacher, the College of Education prepares educators to serve diverse communities, promote moral leadership, demonstrate effective teaching skills, and encourage life-long learning.